Tuesday, April 07, 2009

William Gibson's Neuromancer

While reading it: Really geeky and obviously written by a man. I didn't really get into it at all until halfway through. I found the pace to be a bit slow and at times staccato. In particular the sentences describing cyberspace are jumbled and completely lacking in grammar. It sounds as if he's trying to be profound when it's just confusing. A lot of the time it is too vague as to what the characters are actually doing. They are unsympathetic, I don't care what happens to them. I'm not even sure what they are supposed to be doing to be honest. It's just not clear enough.

This style of writing doesn't do it for me. It feels like a chore to read it but I'm going to finish it. I can't imagine what it would have been like to read this book before The Matrix* existed as a movie but it must have been even more disjointed.Somewhat interesting in terms of the hypothetical technology from a historical viewpoint. Frankly that isn't enough to make me recommend it as a novel. Déjà vu dear readers?**

Finished: I want the time it took me to read this muddle back! It is overly elaborate in descriptions without any clarity or explanation. In the last three or four chapters I decided to skim it I was that fed up and figured it wouldn't make it any less clear. In the end it felt a little pointless.

The emperor has no clothes nor does he hack the Gibson. My opinion remains unchanged see above. I just checked on Amazon and I'm not the only one who feels this way about this book. Apparently Gibson has done better according to reviews there.


*very loosely based on the ideas in this book.
**Choose the Jules Verne instead, the plot is clearer!

No comments: