Saturday, October 31, 2009

For medicinal purposes

I'd like to show you the coolest piece of furniture I own. Okay, so I don't own a lot but it's still very cool!

Photobucket
This is the $40, vintage, doctor's cabinet I got from my local Salvos. We have a shortage of cupboard space in a our kitchen so this was a welcome addition to our home. I stripped back the paint on the decorative hinges, maker's plaque (a Melbourne manufacturer originally based on Swanston Street) and nifty door clasp. I'm guessing it goes back to the 1950s.

Photobucket
Wheeling it to the car and into the apartment, my brother and I found its squeaky wheels and metallic clunky sound amusing. It reminded me of the UWW (Unidentified Wheeled Whitegood) from the moon in Wallace and Gromit's Grand Day out. So of course I had to put my figurines on there! The measuring glass in the background is from the 1950s and bought for a buck at Savers.

No comments: