Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Meerkat Experience at Mogo Zoo

From J: the best Christmas present EVER :) Mogo Zoo, NSW, Australia offers various Animal Encounters, one of which is a Meerkat Experience. All of these photographs and the short clip were taken by zoo keeper Bek/c while I enjoyed feeding my favourite little peeps. Bek/c took heaps of photos for me so I'm only including some.



Photobucket
[sings]Getting to knooooow you,
getting to feed you stuff from a bucket.


Photobucket
The dominant meerkat of the five boys spent most of the time with his head in the bucket except when meal worms were brought out...
Photobucket


Photobucket
... and put on my head, shoulder and lap.

Photobucket
It didn't hurt, but it took a bit of getting used to having this little critter run his paws and claws through my hair. Their claws are very long but dulled by digging and foraging.

Photobucket
Call me back later, I'm feeding the meerkats!

Photobucket
My favourite photo of us.

Photobucket
Their fur is a not as soft as a cat's but not as coarse as some adult dogs. Afterwards my hands smelt spicy and earthy - sort of like curry powder or maybe tumeric.

Photobucket
Keeper Bek/c said this was the cutest pic she had ever taken of this little chap. He is the oldest meerkat of the five, at nine years old. He was once the head male. Not anymore, he sat apart while the others did their thing. So sweet though as you can see by this pic.

Photobucket
I don't remember his name but here he is again...

Photobucket
...and here too.

Photobucket
The four amigos sun bake in a line. Apparently the keeper had never seen them lying in a line like that before.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Please M'am, may I have some more?

No comments: