Saturday, December 22, 2007

Venice Warming

Here's the scene:
In a busy Venetian restaurant 3 couples share a table for dinner. On one end is an English couple, in the middle is an American couple in which the woman is pregnant, on the end is an Australian couple (M and I). The English and American couple ignored us in terms of inclusion in the conversation. Frankly I don't think we had much to talk about with them anyway. The cartoon below gives you an idea why.

Venice Warming
Venice Warming
pencil, ink
March 2007


I found it incredibly ironic that this conversation occurred in Venice of all places.

When it comes to accelerated global warming caused by human activity, I am a believer. If you're not, then consider this.
What's the worst that could happen if the growing number of scientists, general public and myself are wrong?
We get a stuffed up global economy, but global life as we know it is saved for the most part.
What's the worst that could happen if you're wrong?
Increased worldwide 'natural' disasters, floods, droughts, rising sea levels, famine, disease, cyclones/hurricanes, species extinctions, habitats destroyed, biodiversity reduced and the list goes on.

I don't write all of this because I want a heated discussion with my readers. If I can convince any one of you to make a green decision rather than a hip pocket one, to read up on the topic and make yourself extra informed, then my blog has made the world a little bit better.

No comments: