Thursday, April 20, 2006

Garden Nibbles

Listening to 'Pride (In the Name of Love)' by U2

In my garden...

...the other week I heard a buzzing. I thought it was a bee caught by a leaf curling spider. Instead it was this, which was much cooler:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

‘She’ killed the blowfly by biting into its neck. She then proceeded to eat it from the head down, consuming legs and wings. It was interesting to watch Nature taking its course in my humble backyard. I also got to see what fly innards look like while they’re still in the fly and not squashed.

The ever so slightly disconcerting but also charming thing about the praying mantis is that unlike many other insect eyes, you can tell when it’s looking at you.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


From my garden

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Most of this year’s lemon crop from our dwarf lemon tree, harvested this morning. Photo by my brother who may be painting a still life of fruit some time :)

No comments: