This is my favourite, no fuss, minimum mess, vegetarian lunch when I have homegrown basil. If I don't have spinach or suitable greens likes chickweed, I increase the parsley, add oregano and extra garlic chives to get some green goodness in there. Garlic chives are very easy to grow in a pot or the ground, as is Italian parsley.
a cup/handful of spinach leaves
a small handful of fresh basil leaves
a smaller quantity of parsley (optional, good for balancing garlic heat)
one to two cloves of garlic depending on size OR 5-6 of garlic chive leaves if you like a milder garlic taste
freshly ground salt and pepper
a small handful of roasted, salted cashews*
raw pasta for one
While pasta is cooking:
1. Rip herbs into smaller pieces and add to mortar. Grind.
2. Add peeled garlic and grind.
3. Add nuts and grind.
4. You should end up with a bright green, thick paste like this. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add a handful of grated parmesan and a good slurp of olive oil. Stir with flexible spatula into a thick paste.
6. Put ripped or chopped up fresh spinach leaves into a colander. Drain your freshly cooked pasta through colander to cook spinach.
7.Tip contents of colander into large bowl, and stir through pesto. Serve immediately.
* or pinenuts or any roasted nut you like. Unroasted peanuts and macademias should work well
Monday, April 11, 2016
These three paper butterflies will be in The Wild at Off the Kerb gallery.
'Off the Kerb is pleased to celebrate its 9th Birthday Show by inviting you into The Wild, where your imagination can run wild. We invite you into a utopian wilderness where there are
no boundaries, freedom and beauty is bountiful, a place where love runs wild, wilder beasts and divine creatures roam free - you are fearless.....untamed.......
Enter The Wild...
OTK celebrates its 9th Birthday with this group exhibition in support of Edgar’s Mission.
Edgar’s Mission is a not for profit Farm Sanctuary that seeks to create
a humane and just world for homeless, abused, injured or abandoned animals.
OTK will be donating the gallery commission to Edgar’s Mission www.edgarsmission.org.au'
Off the Kerb gallery.
Off the Kerb gallery.
Opening: Fri 8 April 6-9pm |
7 April - 21 April 2016
66B Johnston St, Collingwood, 3066
9077 0174 | 0400 530 464
Thurs & Fri 12:30- 6 | Sat & Sun 12 - 5