Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Glow Worm

Saturday was the first time I’d been to a karaoke night. It was supposed to be Gothaoke but the dude they got in to provide the material brought standard, crappy karaoke fare. Think Back Street Boys and Mariah Carey. Anyhoo, the crowd made the most of what they could from it. There were a quite a few hair rock selections. You could tell who were the natural performers, and a couple of people had the crowd particularly enthusiastic.

I was dressed to impress wearing a lovely, bluish black satin Chinese style dress with a floral pattern woven into it in deepest violet. I got it last week at a nearby op shop for $8 with an unfinished hem. Perhaps the previous owner was going to take up the hem or something. I took it up about 25-30cm so I could wear it with my boots. Was told I looked ‘hot’, by one of the regulars at the club. ‘That’s what I was going for’ I said in reply ;) Having teamed a fine new dress with a little hosiery experimentation I was feeling extra sexy.

A couple of home mixed G&Ts beforehand at my man’s house, got me chilled out by the time we arrived. A $4 drink special on bourbon and coke; haven’t had that mix before but it was good. I drank to delightful tipsiness and it was just as well or maybe that’s why I missed it…

…Had gone to bathroom to retouch my lippy. Striding back onto the dance floor there was a long glowing thing stuck to my boot. About a metre of toilet paper under black light. I found it rather funny, laughing unabashedly as I dislodged it. Then I proceeded to dance, pretending nothing had happened. I noticed a friend of mine grinning at me so I went over. She said she had tried to step on it as I went past. Ah well. :P


And another thing…

Petrol Station Refuelling Etiquette 101
After you’ve come back from paying your bill, start your engine and
MOVE OUT OF THE F***ING WAY!
Thank you.

5 comments:

Zak said...

there was a long glowing thing stuck to my boot

Sorry I didn't see that. I'd have tried to step on it too, and would have followed you around until I had.

Good to see you out again - it had been a while. I hope you had fun, despite the godawful karaoke.

Disappearing Boy said...

Well y'know, there ain't that many 'Goth' karaoke CD's available ! There's a truly awful version of "Can U Dig It" (PWEI) on a Sunfly disc, a purported version of "Enter Sandman" (Metallica) on a "Headbangers Ball" disc which I haven't heard and which isn't really goth anyway ... umm and that's pretty much it. No Sisters, Korn, Rammstein, TKK, Bauhaus, Skinny Puppy, Covenant, Steril or any of the 1001 other bands that would make up a decent gothaoke experience ...

mark said...

You looked great! :D Pity I missed the paper-on-the-show incident ...

Ozfemme said...

Lucky you - to find cool things in op shops. I think it's because you live in Melbourne.

The op shops here are just crap.

Imaginary Girl said...

That's Gold! ;)

Good on you for smiling anyway.

Shame you didnt belt out a New Order melody.